Santa Clara, CA: The Palisadoes Foundation’s Project Calico was featured on the TVJ Smile Jamaica morning show.
During the show, Project Calico was outlined as the equivalent of a summer long student scholarship. The award is US$500.
- During this time the students add desirable new features to approved software projects.
- The software projects are approved by The Palisadoes Foundation and the UWI / UTech student computing societies.
- All the projects are open source, meaning that they are free to use, download, and examine over the web. Software developers donate their time to these projects free of charge to enhance their skills, resumes and international credentials.
- Students will have mentors from these projects to ensure they meet international standards.
- Scholarship stipends would only be paid upon meeting mentor defined milestones.
- Sponsors will have continued visibility into all student contributions, not just the ones they sponsor.
- The features students add will be visible to the world for peers and potential employers to evaluate.
Project Calico is a feeder program into the international Google Summer of Code project. We encourage students to apply to both GSoC and Calico. Details can be found on the Calico page.
About the Palisadoes Foundation
The Palisadoes Foundation aims to provide new avenues to promote Jamaica’s technology businesses and talent using a series of programs aimed at creating increased awareness of the island’s abilities in the global marketplace.